September 27, 2011

Run for Mercy: Maidu Park, Roseville, Ca

She stood there in front of me, pouring her heart out, telling a room full of strangers about the darkest time in her life.  And she wasn't alone; we were in a house with 37 other young women who were in this fragile state not too long ago.  And some of them told us their stories too.  Stories of facing life-controlling issues, such as eating disorders, self-harm, drug and alcohol addictions, depression and unplanned pregnancy, phsyical abuse, and even sex trafficking.  And my heart was breaking for them.  As tears rolled down my cheeks, all I could think was, "How could this happen to them?"  But as they continued to talk about their struggles and how they were finally ready to take back control of their lives, a light began to shine in their tunnels of darkness.   

The Mercy Ministries’ program has helped thousands of young women, ages 13-28 to be restored to wholeness. They provide a home to these girls, counseling, clothing, education, food, exercise, and so much more to help provide them with the opportunity for growth and recovery.  Their goal is to help these young women find freedom from their issues and empower them to serve in their communities as productive citizens.  This program has incredibly transformed their lives.

After being invited to the Mercy house in Lincoln and listening to the girls' stories, I was so moved that I felt compelled to help somehow.  One way they help raise money for the program is by holding the Run for Mercy event.    So donating my time and photographs for the event seemed to be the perfect way I could help the cause.  Not that I didn't want to run or anything :)  But I figured my talents would be better used by photographing the event, which I did, and I felt so honored to be a part of this fundraiser event for these girls.   

So many people volunteered their time to help make this event successful!  And a success it was!  To read a brief article from the Roseville Tribune for more details (and to again see one of the images posted below) click here.


Jessica of Mojo Bootcamp leads the participants to the starting line.



 While announcing the start of the race, Joe Wenson of Gold's Gym in Lincoln, CA leads everyone in a quick warm-up.

 And the race is on...!




So glad to be there to help support the Mercy girls and volunteer my time and photographs to such a life changing and empowering program!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment