July 6, 2011

Architectural Photography: My new friend

Last year I had the pleasure of photographing this really great home in Sacramento for a builder, Gai Kirkegaard.  Gai introduced me to the homeowner, John Packowski of Concept Studio, who completely gutted and redesigned his entire house within 6 months.  Not only is that an amazing turn around time, but I am totally impressed with how the space looks and feels.  It's clean, modern, and artsy.  It's the perfect place to entertain adult friends with yummy recipes by Cat Cora (I'm totally going to get that cookbook, by the way!) and cocktails.  After photographing his home last year, he realized we could work together too and recently asked me to join him for a full day of photographing a bunch of homes he designed for use in his current portfolio. 

Let me just say John puts the "fun" in functionality. The first gorgeous home often hosts events for charities and entertaining large groups. So this house is huge. Well I was surprised at every turn about the amount of details and clever, functional uses of the spaces that John had included in the design. One of my many favorites though was in the kitchen--get this--a long metal trough built right into the kitchen counter top so you could put ice in the trough to serve cold things like oysters in the shells or even chilled beverages! Right there in the kitchen counter! How fun is that?! And as I photographed the outside of the home, I thought I was at some exotic resort! Heck I almost took my shoes off! A beautiful pool with built-in chaise lounges actually inside the pool, a putting green, a botchy ball court, and an enormous lawn where they host outdoor events--it looked like a football field surrounded by an orchard! I seriously could go on about this place and his other homes, all the neat little, "fun"ctional details.  I've included a few of the homes from our excursion here. I am truly excited and also quite curious to be photographing his wonderful designs. Thanks, John!









 This next home had such interesting architectural elements.

This next home had the coolest outdoor entertaining area by the pool, including an outdoor kitchen, fireplace, and multiple seating areas.  The main design concept of this house was based on this social family's lifestyle. The setting was peaceful and surrounded by their very own vineyard.
 The next home has such a natural and relaxing atmosphere.  The birch trees created this dappled lighting which reminded me of a Monet painting with all the speckles and of light painting the ground and trees.  Another poolside that beckoned me to take off my shoes and relax!  Ahhh what a hard day to be working.


 This last home is John and his wife's modern gem.  Once the backyard is completed I will probably want to take my shoes off back there too.  But for now...here's the front.  Thanks again John! I look forward to the next projects!




No comments:

Post a Comment