January 24, 2011

Yummy, Healthy Recipe--one of my favorites!

I love looking through recipe books.  They give me ideas to create dishes that I might not think of otherwise.  I like to use recipes as the basis of the dish, then I add to or take away from the ingredients as I please.  Mostly, I tend to add ingredients.  Sometimes I don't have everything listed, so I substitute ingredients often.  Usually it turns out pretty good though! ....right honey? :)

I found this recipe for a coleslaw that goes great as a side dish for chicken (or anything really) and is the perfect left-over-meal for lunch the next day.  It's easy to make and really yummy so I thought I'd share it with you...it's based off a recipe from the Cooking Light Cookbook, so it's a healthier version than the kind you usually find in the deli.  But then of course I added some ingredients because that's what I do!


Start with the dressing...
Here's what I used last time:


Ingredients: 
1/2 cup light sour cream
3 Tbsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 1/2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (and/or apple cider vinegar if you like)
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. black pepper (I use more)
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine these ingredients in a large bowl and stir with a whisk.

Then add 1 chopped, medium sized apple (any kind is good; recipe suggests Rome apples)
1 cup of golden raisins (cranberries are good too) and
1 (16oz.) package of cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
and stir until combined well.


This is a great side-dish and usually there's some leftover for the next day's lunch.
(See below for leftover stir-ins)

Enjoy!


 
Here's what I do with the leftovers...

I add a handful of roughly chopped spinach leaves in my lunch bowl...
(don't forget to rinse the spinach well!)



Then I stir in about 1/2 cup of the coleslaw mixture....



YUM
Doesn't it look pretty?


Then I top that with a handful of raw, slivered almonds
and about a handful of chopped chicken breast.


Yah.  It's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment